Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hate this song

So I am not a big fan of venting in blogs (but maybe now I have one it'll change), but I keep hearing this song that seriously just makes me MAD.  I know I shouldn't "HATE" things, but this - I HATE.  (Not at all surprising that there are no women's names taking credit for writing it.)

The song is "We are Young".  It is a great and horrible example of what our American Culture promotes as okay behavior.  I mean, seriously!! Why is it "cool" to have a song talking about an ex-girlfriend you hit or something to have given her a scar, gave crappy excuses to apologize, and now offer, if she is so drunk so can't stand up when the bar closes that you will take her home to "set the world on fire"

GIVE ME A BREAK!!
Who wants this for their kids?  Why do guys think it's okay to treat women like that.  Why do women value themselves so low to allow some POS to do it.  At least the girl in the song is sitting on the other side of the bar, presumably not with this dickhead, thank God.

But the whole underlying theme is getting so drunk, you close down the bar and need someone to carry you out.  It is songs like these that make me so GRATEFUL this is not a picture of what my life looks like today.

So, here are the lyrics that irritate the bejeezus out of me.  I hope you can see why.  If you disagree with my feelings, I would be seriously interested to know why in the hell you think I am wrong.  I hope it spurs some conversation somewhere about the insanity in our culture these days.
We are Young (taken from lyricsfreak.com)

Songwriters (aka Dickheads only interested in Money at the destruction of our Youth): RUESS, NATHANIEL JOSEPH / DOST, ANDREW / ANTONOFF, JACK MICHAEL / BHASKER, JEFFREY
Give me a second I
I need to get my story straight
My friends are in the bathroom
Getting higher than the Empire State
My lover she's waiting for me
Just across the bar
My seats been taken by some sunglasses
Asking 'bout a scar
And I know I gave it to you months ago
I know you're trying to forget
But between the drinks and subtle things
The holes in my apologies
You know I'm trying hard to take it back
So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down
I'll carry you home

...

Now I know that I'm not
All that you got
I guess that I
I just thought maybe we could find new ways to fall apart
But our friends are back
So let's raise a cup
Cause I found someone to carry me home

Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter
Than the sun

Carry me home tonight
Just carry me home tonight
Carry me home tonight
Just carry me home tonight
The world is on my side
I have no reason to run
So will someone come and carry me home tonight
The angels never arrived
But I can hear the choir
So will someone come and carry me home

No comments:

Post a Comment